If I was a successful corporation or government entity and I wanted the general public to accept a policy that was good for me but bad for them1, I might do something like the following:
- Create a Terms and Conditions page that’s sure to create a bunch of link-bating headlines that would be shared all over the Internet.
- Publicly apologize, tell people they’re right and they have simply misunderstood our intentions. Promise a revision.
- Wait. Then re-write the Terms and Conditions to say whatever I want. No one cares anymore, they got their victory.
Shhh, let’s just keep this between you and me. It’s a good thing nothing like this has ever happened before.
- It’s a good thing corporations and government entities aren’t as clever as me, amiright? ↩
- “Siri is a Success,” He Said.
- Wikileaks: The Napster of News
- Microsoft Listens While You Touch Yourself